Thursday, October 15, 2015

What is with the heavy backpacks??




Some years back, I posted this basic post on the Catholic Education blog. Not one person replied! I have updated what I wrote then......

I am continually dismayed by the weight of my children's backpacks/school bags. I have seen a fairly steady increase over the years in the weight of the backbacks of my school-age children. When my son was a student at a private Catholic high school, his backpack was ridiculously heavy - easily 40 lbs. However, in defense of the school, they recommend a second set of books for home, which we did his first year but did not do thereafter because he used his commute time on the train (45 min each way) to study and needed his books with him to do so. Therefore, a second set at home did not help him. In addition, that school required families to purchase their own books, so a second set really doubled an already hefty book bill.

My daughter is in fourth grade at the wonderful St. Mary's Interparochial School. I have gone out of my way to notice the weight of the backpacks in pretty much all of the grades. On one occasion, several years ago, brought the weight to the attention of my daughter's teacher. The teacher assured me that she is very mindful of the books needed to complete homework assignments and is careful not to give multiple heavy book assignments on the same day. (My daughter had brought home books on her own accord on the day I was concerned about the weight.)

I think the evidence is fairly clear that the heavy backpacks lead to back problems, muscle strains, etc. Also, as a general rule, girls cannot be expected to carry a backpack as heavy as those carried by boys. As for the suggestion that the kids get backpacks on wheels, someone (with far more influence that I, a mere parent, have) has decided that such bags are definitively NOT COOL, are unwieldy, and still have to be carried up the stairs, etc.

Has anyone else noticed how heavy the backpacks are these days? Does your child's school have a policy about the weight?

No comments:

Post a Comment